Jean Chen, Reviewed Published 4:10 p.m. ET March 15, 2017 | Updated 10:05 a.m. ET March 4, 2019
How to clean your sneakers in the washing machine without ruining them (Photo: Getty Images)
— Our editors review and recommend products to help you buy the stuff you need. If you make a purchase by clicking one of our links, we may earn a small share of the revenue. Our picks and opinions are independent from any business incentives.
I’m a runner, so my sneakers are really important to me. That’s why I hate it when they get dirty. Luckily, sneakers are easy to clean—and to make it even easier, you can use the washing machine!
Whether you just finished a Tough Mudder or just want to freshen up your comfy kicks, it’s still important to do some prep work to keep your sneakers from getting damaged. Here’s how to get your sneakers looking bright and clean in under 40 minutes. Removing the smell can take other methods, though.
Sneaker Cleaner Brush / Cleaning Brush by KlenBlu – Buy now for $8.79
What You Need:
Prep Time Needed: Overnight
Total Time Needed: Approximately 40 minutes, depending on the washer
- The night before, sprinkle sneakers with 3 tablespoons of baking soda in each shoe and leave in overnight. Remove in the morning.
- Remove the laces and put them inside a pillowcase or wash bag to prevent them from getting tangled. Place in the washer. Wipe off as much mud and debris off your sneaker as possible with a brush cleaner or an old toothbrush.
- Next, add your shoes to the washer along with some towels. We recommend about 4 to 6. The towels will help to balance the load and prevent your shoes from loudly slamming against the inside of the washer.
- Using liquid detergent, run the washer on a cold delicate cycle. Depending on your washer, the wash time varies from 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the sneakers from the washer and allow them to air dry. NEVER put shoes in the dryer, as the heat may warp them or damage the glue that keeps them together.
(Photo: Getty Images)
How to get the best clean
- Use Baking Soda – Make sure to Deodorize the shoe with Baking soda the night before. While this is a small detail, this will make all the difference.
- Use a wash bag – Place the laces inside a wash bag to ensure they don’t get tangled inside the washer.
- Use a brush cleaner – Remove dirt and grime from your sneakers prior to placing in the washer.
- Use liquid detergent – Do not use powdered detergent as it might get stuck inside of your sneakers.
- If your shoes are worse for the winter, check out our guide on how to remove salt stains.
Set of 5 Mesh Laundry Bags – Buy now for $7.99
(Photo: Getty Images)
The following shoes are not suitable to put into the washing machine and should be left to the professionals:
• Leather or dress Shoes
• Rubber boots or wellies
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/reviewedcom/2017/03/15/how-to-clean-dirty-sneakers-in-the-washing-machine/99162918/